TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I don't have a picture just a black screen. no sound. The tv

Customer Question
i don't have a picture...
i don't have a picture just a black screen. no sound
JA: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?
Customer: no
JA: Was there a power outage recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the tv comes on like a quick flash and goes to black so sound.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
6/16/2017
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 7 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
I am reviewing your question and will post again momentarily.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

Model # CN36Z71

I`m sorry but something just came up and I will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Please just standby and someone should be with you shortly .

TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

Jack had to step out, but I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Offhand these symptoms point to a hardware failure in the set (which is not uncommon when these CRT sets get on in age) and generally it requires repairs made to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

this procedure didn't work.

I'm sorry to hear that and I didn't have high hopes for it, as those symptoms indicate a hardware issue. That is all you could try on a user level. The TV needs repairs, which are often caused by a failing high voltage circuit, faulty CRT or even failed capacitors. With the average cost for this repair being in the $200 range- this is not cost effective as a brand new LED Smart TV of the same size can be purchased for the same cost and is money better spent.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

failing high voltage circuit? is that a power outage? why hasn't that happened to my smart tv?

No it isn't a power outage, it's a component level hardware failure in the older tube set which is due to age and wear- nothing to do with a power outage at all.

if repaired can this happen again?

Of course it could- electronics are never a guarantee- and given the age of the set it makes more sense to replace it versus repairing it- which is what I posted above. Electronics have a life span- they don't last forever, just like anything else there are parts that wear out and fail over time.

Okay thank you for all of your advice. I will now rate you.

You're welcome and best of luck with the set.

Aric, Technician