Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I don't have a picture just a black screen. no sound, no,

Customer Question

i don't have a picture just a black screen. no sound
JA: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?
Customer: no
JA: Was there a power outage recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the tv comes on like a quick flash and goes to black so sound.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
I am reviewing your question and will post again momentarily.
A few questions coming up and please note that there may be delays between replies if i have to gather various info ;
Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Model # CN36Z71
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

I`m sorry but something just came up and I will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Please just standby and someone should be with you shortly .

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Jack had to step out, but I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Offhand these symptoms point to a hardware failure in the set (which is not uncommon when these CRT sets get on in age) and generally it requires repairs made to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Were you able to try those steps and are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this procedure didn't work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that and I didn't have high hopes for it, as those symptoms indicate a hardware issue. That is all you could try on a user level. The TV needs repairs, which are often caused by a failing high voltage circuit, faulty CRT or even failed capacitors. With the average cost for this repair being in the $200 range- this is not cost effective as a brand new LED Smart TV of the same size can be purchased for the same cost and is money better spent.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
failing high voltage circuit? is that a power outage? why hasn't that happened to my smart tv?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

No it isn't a power outage, it's a component level hardware failure in the older tube set which is due to age and wear- nothing to do with a power outage at all.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if repaired can this happen again?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Of course it could- electronics are never a guarantee- and given the age of the set it makes more sense to replace it versus repairing it- which is what I posted above. Electronics have a life span- they don't last forever, just like anything else there are parts that wear out and fail over time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you for all of your advice. I will now rate you.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome and best of luck with the set.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.