Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a 72 inch Sharp tv and the power button just is

Customer Question

I have a 72 inch Sharp tv and the power button just is flashing will not power on. I bought it at Best Buy in 2011. Extended Warrant expired last year. The geek squad guy came out didn't do any testing called someone said the error code for that is, 90% that the LCD light in it that lights the unit is gone and not with fixing would be price of a new unit! I called Sharp they said press the down volume button and input as I plug it in, I did that it powers up , screen starts to light for few seconds than goes back out! They gave me a number for third part tech if I wanted to pursue getting it fixed , What do you think?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought in 2011, model # LC-70LE732U
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Tv will not power on at all , power light just blinking
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Few days ago just went out would not power back on, just blinking power light
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: He looked at called someone and said error code for that is LCD lighting is gone which is 90% of tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
I am reviewing your question and will post again momentarily.
Please send me a hello in the mean time so i know you can see my reply ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Hi

What is that blink count at the front , do you have it or can you look it up ?

Like the power and opc light will blink for example twice together then the opc once alone or the power light will blink alone a number of times ?

Can you give me the count ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just wanted to know what you thought would the problem be what they had said, not worth fixing!
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Can you see my question above ?

Can you give me the count ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Power blinks alone consistently
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

O.k but there still would be some sort of pattern then like blinks slow once followed by 2 fast blinks and so on ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

For the CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp) built into the panel it would be 1 slow and 1 fast , is that what you have ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

I need the exact count here

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Look at the link below and tell me which pattern fits what you have in between short blink pauses

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
slow than fast
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Yes thank you but how many times slow and fast ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

1 slow and 1 fast , is that it ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Slow flashing
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

1 slow and 1 fast , is that it ?

I need the count/number of times here

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Is it 1 and 1 or more than that ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

By the way , the phone and other offers are automated by the website , not sent by me

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 and 1
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

O.k then , 1 and 1 does indeed point to a lamp failure but this could be in error , it does happen

The power supply/inverter board could be the culprit here and if you want to give it a try I will find it for you

Here is a different procedure to try ;

Unplug the power cord 10 secs or so and then while pressing the vol+ and channel down buttons at the same time directly on the tv (not the remote), plug in the power cord

Let me know what that does

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I press - volume button and input at same time and plugged in, tv powers on starts to light up a few seconds powers back off
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

I know that procedure but as I said above this is a DIFFERENT procedure

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing happen
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

O.k then your only hope would be to try and replace that power supply but it is a gamble and that board is not cheap , you will need to order by phone to make sure you can get a return option if it turns out that it is not the problem .

Cheapest I could find and could be a good idea is a repair service for yours.

I mean if your board is good then you will know it is the panel indeed and they should not charge you $68 if there are no repairs to perform , here is the link ; http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/runtka857wjqz-sharp-power-supply-dps-222bp/

Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks a lot
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

If that answers your questions for now then PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO RATE (stars above and submit), it does not close this post , you can come back at any time without additional charges if you have further questions or need help and it gets this independent tech. paid for his time helping you .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate with the stars at the top of your page (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 2 months ago.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service

I`m working on the honor system here and expect the same at your end so please DO RATE if that answered your question ,it doesn`t cost you anything more and I get paid for my time