TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My comcast set top box is blinking 3 times and wont let me

Customer Question
turn on the tv. JA: Is...
My comcast set top box is blinking 3 times and wont let me turn on the tv.
JA: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: Hang on let me check.
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: NO I haven't I will try that now.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ok I turned the tv off waited about two minutes and turned power back on. Still no joy.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: TV
6/15/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Please disregard those initial comments from the automated chat system, they are not appropriate or applicable to your device.

Please unplug the power to the comcast box again, for a minimum of 5 minutes.

While it is unplugged, press and hold the power button on the box for 10 seconds,

after the 5 minutes has elapsed, replug and give it another 5 minutes to start back up, and let me know the results.

Thanks,

Hello Nathan,
I unplugged the power supply for more than 5 minutes. I can't find the power button to hold down for 10 seconds. The rng110 manual doesn't show a power button. What power button are you talking about?

Thank you for trying.

This model does not have a power switch. Most do, but this model does not. So in the absence of a physical switch, you can repeat the process just skipping the power switch portion.

If no change, then this would confirm a hardware defect and the box would have to be replaced. The next step would be to call comcast and they would mail you a new box, or you could take it in to one of their retail storefront locations and exchange it for a new box.

Best regards,

HI Nathan,
I went and got a new set top box from local comcast store. I can get a picture (sort of ) all I get is a message that says "One moment please the channel should be available shortly" Ref code S0a00. All channels that have been selected and tried have the message " to be announced" also the time or clock is 3 hours off. Help!!!

That is a connectivity issue,

are you using a wireless box, or is there coax connected to it?
Any other wall jack in another room you can test? You may have a bad line or splitter somewhere.

NOt using a wireless box. There is a coax connected to it. No I don't have another jack.

Do you have internet through comast also? Is that working?

my internet through comcast is working perfectly.
Okay unplug the modem for a few minutes to reboot it. Then test out the box again. If no change Comcast will have to first try to send a new activation signal to the box. If that doesn't work they have to send a tech out to verify the signal to the box is good.
Hi Nathan,
I unplugged the box for a few minutes and plugged it back in and turned it on. Still no Joy. Please send out a technician.
Sorry I can't send a tech from my end unfortunately. That would require a phone call direct to Comcast.
thanx Nathan
I will take care of it tomorrow.

You're welcome, and best of luck! I know comcast is a pain to deal with.

Nathan, Installer