TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Getting message that tv does not support this program's

Customer Question
content protection JA: Who makes your...
Getting message that tv does not support this program's content protection
JA: Who makes your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Samsung model LN40A550P3F12A
JA: What have you tried so far with your ln40a550p3f12a?
Customer: Turning it on and off. This works but only for 15 to 20 minutes
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Actually off and on. I am using Directv and a sony sound system
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: TV
6/11/2017
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 5 months ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello
Welcome
I am sorry you are having trouble here,I am presently reviewing your question be with you very soon.

Anthony

The TV may be reporting a valid message it simply does not support content protection (set is fairly old) however please do this >>>unplug the TV set and any satellite cable box from wallpower wait 5 mins, replug back in again, look in the settings menu for the TV for any factory\shipping reset carry that out (let me know if the set does not have this feature) re-try again

Let me know how this works out please

Will do

OK let me know

In the process of waiting the 5 minutes. When I plug it back in, it will still be another hour or so until I can see if this works

That is no problem this question is open for 30 days anyhow I look forwards to your reply

Anthony

Thank you.

Your Welcome

As soon as I replugged in and started a program, I got the same message - my TV does not support content protection. Unplug HDMI and plug in component cables
Don't see anything on settings menu about a reset. Are you a Samsung expert?

Is the box new?

Samsung and Sharp specialist

Please understand the set is telling you something, the platform that is being presented to the set is not supported its because of the sets age, there is no software\hardware to support the copy\content protection being generated by the box (if the TV has previously worked OK with this set over a long time let me know or if there has been a upgrade to the box)

Again using component cables will make no difference in the quality of pic you get from the box it will be in the same resolution as the HDMI leads

This combo has been working for over three years. This is a recent development.
After sitting with this message TV has started to work again all by itself.

There was a upgrade of firmware for the set in 2008

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2008-lcd-tv-a550-series

Please click the above let me know if you have this version of firmware

That is nine years ago. Surely not affecting me now. No matter whether I have it or not

If you do (check in the settings menu) then do not go any further as the set wont take the same version, set MUST have this version and yes it can be affecting the set now as your present version could be corrupt or going corrupt hence the messages, other than that its as I have already said, this is not unusual I have seen this many times, older technology will not work properly with new, the box may have had a upgrade that has now affected the handshake between box and set

Not when they have worked flawlessly for years with no known updates for either box or TV

I have seen many older sets not work at all with modern boxes etc or no sound or no DTV etc etc

If you do not agree there is nothing I can do about that, you wont know if the box has had an upgrade that happens all the time automatically with no warnings

the only other open option is to replace the mainboard this controls everything in the set I the hope that this will clear the issue however I do not hold out much hope on it

How do I find the firmware on the location you sent me to? Says no specs

Go down page to “downloads” open it were it says see more

Another thought is to swap the HDMI lead(s) for recent version (particular if the box is under 3 years)then that just about covers all angles, as I say you could swap out the main-boad cost of main-board around $100 but no firm assurance of a fix, there never is a single issue for issues like this its a case of elimination and previous experience with the same or similar issues

If you need more help let me know

Please I would be grateful if you could you rate the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician