TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 46" Samsung LED TV. the picture has vertical line…

i have a 46" Samsung...
i have a 46" Samsung LED TV. the picture has vertical line dancing around and is very dim. is this fixable? i have fixed a few flat screen computer monitors in the past by changing a few capacitors. any solutions or idea's? does this happen alot? thanks.
6/6/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Could you please provide the model number from the back of the tv for me?

IF you bring up the samsung menu screens, does the line show over top of that, or behind the menu?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
UN46B6000VF, i gotta check but im pretty sure lines are on top of the menu

Thanks, ***** ***** check if you can.

Yes, just came through, thanks,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is far past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, there are no caps or fuses that would fix this. You'd be starting with replacing the tcon and if that didn't work moving on to the main. The tcon is nearly impossible to find new anymore, and even a used one will typically be $100+

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

I would not consider it worth fixing at this point because even if you resolve this issue, it will not extend the life of the tv any appreciable amount as other parts will continue to fail sooner than later.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you Nathan

You're very welcome!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer