TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

How do you change the aspect ratio on a digital Visio tv.

Customer Question
How do you change...

How do you change the aspect ratio on a digital Visio tv

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

VW32L HDTV10A

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This is in our rental unit and we came in and it has black spaces on both sides.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
6/1/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

What do you have connected to the tv? Cable/satellite box? Dvd? Antenna?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Media Com Dugital Cable

Is there a cable BOX, or just basic cable (coax only)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a digital cable box.

This problem with the picture size could be coming from either the tv OR the box

Grab the cable box remote and look for a button that says ZOOM, ASPECT, WIDE, RATIO, SIZE, FORMAT, * OR # etc
You may need to press this several times to cycle through the different options,
and you may have to make a similar adjustment on the tv as well, until you get them both to a desired setting. On the vizio remote you'll use the WIDE button.
typically you'd want the cable box set on 16:9 or Wide
and you'd want the tv set on Normal or 16:9

It can take a bit of fiddling to get them both matched up, but you should have a button for this function on both the tv remote and on the box remote, and will have to use both.

Let me know if that works for you.
Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got rid of the lines on the sides, now I have lines on the top and bottom. The TV menu doesn't any thing referring to aspect ratio and the wide button doesn't seem to do anything. The cable menu has 1080i normal and 1080I wide. Normal puts lines on sides and top and bottom. Wide puts them on top and bottom. There's also 720p normal and wide and 480p (16:9) and 480p (4:3).

This is not a menu function it should be enacted by just the wide button on the vizio remote.

What you are seeing in the cable menu is the resolution, I'd keep it on the 720p normal or wide though.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The wide button on thhe Vizio remote puts up a blue note on the screen that says "wide" but doesn't change the top and bot***** *****nes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hitting OK after Wide doesn't do anything either

How is the cable box connected? HDMI?

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.