Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I cannot get the energy saving mode off on my LG tv every 3

Customer Question

I cannot get the energy saving mode off on my LG tv every 3 seconds, a screen just turn off by itself
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: no it has happened before. i still can hear something from TV but cant see properly, its dim
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV menu seems to work, but i cant see it clearly, its supper dim
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: its just happened. i didnt know who press something on remote controller
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: I can see something on the screen and hear the sound of the music
Category: TV
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My TV model is 42LS4600-TA
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, and on "...cannot get the energy saving mode off..." even using the ENERGY button on the remote?

Still, no backlights can be seen from the back of the TV? ...through ventilation holes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What's backlights from the back of the TV?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

The 42LS4600 is a LED type . In most versions, the backlightcan be seen looking from behind through the ventilation holes.

Still, consider a test (if have not been done). Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen.

Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Post back results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a back lighting issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi LouieYes I have just done the VOL UP/ DOWN, It works fine, I see hardly in dark image of the volume level.Plus, every time when I turn TV on, I see LG logo on TV quite bright and clear for 3 secs, then it turns into dark image again, but I still can see something hardly hardly dark image.What should i do next?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

The above flashlight test would confirm the backlight issue; i.e. an internal hardware concern.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

...or would a LINK to an independent repair shop serve your need?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't have soldering iron or multi-meter.
Where I live is in little village in New Zealand, I don't know whether I can find repair shop?Any ideas that i can do?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

I understand.

Please try unplugging the TV for an extended period of time.

The idea is to simulate a soft RESET and dissipate residual power.

Then while still unplugged, press and HOLD the ▼ and + buttons on the TV itself while plugging back in BUT preferably into a different outlet.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

This reset is both a test and a try of a fix.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.