Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a 55GA6400 that started the same routine again. It

Customer Question

I have a 55GA6400 that started the same routine again. It starts with low batteries in the remote that corrupt the software and over time soon prevent the TV from booting normally. After many hours of start, s\d it will view only what is on HDMI 1. It does not know it has a tuner, though it does, because it fails to go through setup because it looks for a page of services based on zip code, which no !longer exists. Total software breakdown. Hardware is fine.
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: 55GA6450. Remote is original with a full keyboard on the back.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No menus are accessible, except the android menu. TV only looks at HDMI 1. All functions, home, input, 3d, menu, gesture,etc (after finally booting which may take 15 mins to 6 hours of off, on, off, on, etc) say" please wait while we are booting", but never work.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Usual nonsense. Click channel up and begins increasing channel around the saved stations over and over and stops randomly, even though only click up one channel and remote key is not locking.
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: What unit needs is reload of the firmware, but LG says it doesn't exist for Google TV's. Google doesn't work on TV software.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Re-loading the firmware can only be done at a service center, using specialist equipment.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No sir, these TV's are designed to load firmware by USB. Android is the same or by something called ADB (not sure what that is). The design flaw is that the "factory reset", apparently doesn't have a viable copy of the software, so when the remote corrupts the working copy, you must switch to it. Reverting to it is less functional and more easily corrupted so then the set has only the loader software remaining and a default to HDMI.LG's " fix" is to let repairmen replace the working motherboard with another from them, but that software has same corruption bug that killed the first. I had this done about a year ago by one of the three LG authorized repair centers, costs about $200 and never works right. Local authorized LG techs are at a loss to fix, LG wont help, and suggest buying Samsung. :( Any other ideas?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Firmware updates can be loaded by USB, but re-loading the firmware when it has become corrupted can only be done at a service center, as there is no viable operating system to facilitate the re-loading.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Replacing the motherboard will also work, but as you say the same update bug can return.

Unfortunately there isn't any other way around this problem.