TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have some trouble with my Sony Bravia LCD digital color

Customer Question
TV. Model KDL32L5000....
I have some trouble with my Sony Bravia LCD digital color TV. Model KDL32L5000. The problem is that it turns off after a period of play. (all by itself. The TV seems to turn itself back on and off multiple times. Have checked all connections and they are secure. any suggestions.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: why it turns off and on randomly. does not happen every day but often enough.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Sony Bravia lcd digital color tv. Model KDL32L5000. 6 yrs old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: many months. I have tried reseting the tv, no change, restart no change.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not right now
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: TV
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/15/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Can you tell me how often this happens?
How long does it stay on before turning off?

ok

Can you tell me how often this happens?

Are you still there?

Yes I am here,

I need more information from you. I've asked twice for additional details and am awaiting a response:

Can you tell me how often this happens?

Every day now. It is random as to how long it stays on 10min, 1hour, many hours, its hard to predict time between turning off and on. Just get frustrated with it and then turn everything off, hence I called here.

Thank you for the information,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is over double its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $200 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Id rather wait then call , your call is too expen
I will try this method you sent and get back to you.

No problem, take your time. You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 7 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Installer