Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Panasonic viera plasma tv which is showing a

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic viera plasma tv which is showing a vertical black bar
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: TCP50G15 is the model- I bought it in 2009
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it happened last week. there was a sudden flash and then this black bar appeared
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: nothing else... the rest of the screen shows picture but just not this portion of vertical area
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. I am Mike, the real life technician assigned to help you. Sorry to hear you are having problems....

Do you have the original Panasonic Tv remote?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have attached a picture of what it looks like
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

I'm really sorry to confirm the bad news.... unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The tv needs diagnosis, parts, and service.

Do you have electronics experience and want to try and fix the tv yourself? As an experienced technician, I may be able to help you with the repairs here, but if you do not have the needed skills and tools then having it repaired by a local shop is your best option. I can help you with that too, just provide your zip code.

Despite the bad news, I hope you appreciate the answer that I provided so far. If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option.

All of the technicians here, including me, take your question very seriously because helping you is how we support our livelihoods. Please be aware that every moment spent helping you goes unrecognized until you submit a positive rating for the answer provided.

Please submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are not sure about giving me 5 stars, please tell me how I can possibly change that! If you having issues with the ratings try refreshing the page.

Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I live in 98052 - is there a local place that you would recommend?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Got the zip code. Be right back with the repair shops....

While your waiting please take a look at the ratings at the top of this page and submit 5 stars so that recognized for helping with your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you have no idea what could be the cause of this issue? there was a flash before this black bar appeared
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

The back of the tv has to come off, diagnosis performed and then parts inside replaced. Starting with one of the boards in the tv.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

BELLEVUE Tv repair(###) ###-####/p>

Edge Tech repair(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

I do hope before you go, you will submit a 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am at least recognized for helping with your question. If you are having issues with the rating try refreshing the page.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?