Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

All of a sudden, the TV is not receiving a signal from my

Customer Question

All of a sudden, the TV is not receiving a signal from my router. My computers are up and running and connected. We tried to manually input NETGEAR37 with the PW, but the TV would not recognize it.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: One moment, please.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Model: M550VSE SN:NKJA35AN02956
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We just turned on the TV and couldn't connect to an internet site.
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Deborah,

does the tv "see" your own netgear or any other wifi networks at all when scanning?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Has it done so in the past?

Initially, please unplug power to your netgear router for a few minutes to reboot it, then scan on the vizio again and let me know if it sees any networks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I "scan"?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

It happens automatically, when you go into the network/wireless options on the tv, it will search for networks and present a list of options to choose from, if any are found.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing comes up at all when we press "Network".
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Okay and other devices are working the netgear currently I assume, like phones, laptops, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The response is that it just keeps trying.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Yes I understand it is saying that on the tv, but can other devices still use the wifi currently? Or have other devices stopped working too?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

So other devices are working fine on the wifi. Thank you for confirming,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty internal wifi adapter or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These vizio tvs are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum and it is completely normal and expected for them to last just a year or two actually - yours has gone far longer than we expect of a vizio product.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $500 range.

An alternative to repair/replacement would be to use the wired ethernet port on the back, either with a direct wired connection to the netgear, or a simulated wired connection through a

powerline ethernet adapter: http://amzn.to/28SDK86 or wifi bridge: http://amzn.to/28PrUHk. This would be the cheapest option, just keep in mind it won't be a long term fix as other parts in the tv will continue to fail and need further repairs.

I can also help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,