Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an older model RCA television with a VHS player

Customer Question

I have an older model RCA television with a VHS player built-in. I want to watch vhs tapes but don't have a remote. Will a universal remote work. I'm thinking not because of the VHS player
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The serial # is###-##-#### I think the Model # is V51A
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: At least 10 years old
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: There's no issue other than I don't have the remote and want to usae the VCR. At the moment the screen is in set-up
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Offhand most universal remotes will not work on a TV that is also a combo VCR (the same holds true for other multi-purpose devices such as "VCR/DVD"s, and "Blu-Ray/Home Theater"s). That said, the original TV remote would be needed in most cases, and I can look that up for you, but I need the full model number off of the sticker on the back of the TV. Neither of those numbers posted are the model number. Let me know if you can get that info please.