Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

It is taking up to an hour to start. Could it be the lamp?

Customer Question

JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 51f510
It is pretty old, I am not sure how old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Once it comes on everything works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About six months, it started taking longer and longer to start up, at first it was minutes building up to an hour.
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Your TV does not use a Lamp- it's an older CRT rear projection that uses 3 color CRT's to produce the picture. Also these are not user replaceable. The set taking longer to turn on is caused by a different issue entirely. It's generally caused by out of spec components when the set is cold (most commonly failing capacitors, or weakened IC chips, etc.).

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Your TV does not use a Lamp- it's an older CRT rear projection that uses 3 color CRT's to produce the picture. Also these are not user replaceable. The set taking longer to turn on is caused by a different issue entirely. It's generally caused by out of spec components when the set is cold (most commonly failing capacitors, or weakened IC chips, etc.). These components are known to drift out of spec when they age (which is normal for electronics), and eventually the set will stop coming on- and they will need to be replaced. This is not something as basic as a plug and play fix. The set requires testing internally by a skilled technician using a multi-meter and the service manual. The average cost for this type of repair is between $250-$350 parts and labor. Given the age of the TV, and the fact that a brand new 55" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost- makes this not cost effective to repair in most cases. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek another opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros,com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.