TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

One of the HDMI ports on my Sony XBR-65X900A stopped

Customer Question
working, won't accept input. The...
One of the HDMI ports on my Sony XBR-65X900A stopped working, won't accept input. The other three ports work fine
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: Sony XBR-65X900A Yes. I checked that the cable was working properly and tried a variety of HDMI inputs. Works fine on other inputs except this one
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV menu otherwise works fine. No problems with other sources/inputs I don't know if it's possible to disable an input through a menu but doubt it
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I first noticed it two weeks ago while I was trying to fix my DISH Hopper. It was connected to that input, and periodically the Hopper would just stop working and had to reset itself. As I was factory resetting the Hopper, all of a sudden the Sony input quit working
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: Bought the TV in 12/2013. Has otherwise always worked fine
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: TV
5/9/2017
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). Hdmi circuitry is highly sensitive and easily damaged, even just static shock from touching the tv can fry a hdmi port.
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is actually past its expected service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this age however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new 4k LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $800 range.

Of course since it is just a single port that is out, you could also just leave well enough alone and use the existing ports instead. If you need more, you could add a switch box for about $30, rather than investing in repairs or replacement right away.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

A few responses:
1. This is large, heavy 65-inch 4K TV mounted on the wall. I can't remove it by myself and don't know why I'd want to. I can't easily get to the back of the TV. It was the best TV Sony made in 12/2013 and cost $5,000.
2. So far as I know there's no power button (or any other controls) on the TV itself. Everything is done on the remote.
3. If this requires a major repair then I'll just skip it. The other three inputs work fine.
4. How well do you know SONY TVs and the weird, undocumented ways to access internal functions via software? You know, various kinds of factory reset, etc.
I'm a great typist. No calls. I need to be sure you can help.

No problem, we can work here,

if there's no power button on the TV, how would I follow your instructions? (If there is a power button, it's well hidden or on the back where I can't get at it)

I understand it is a large tv, and high end at the time. By current standards it is not the best anymore, and it truly is past its designed service life at this point. Sony has great picture quality, they are not known for quality or reliability as they once were and we see the average sony tv last 3-4 years typically.

There is a power button, it is on the back, at the bottom left hand corner, you should be able to feel around and find it.

If you can't, just do the unplug for an hour at least.

Based on experience though, it won't make a difference and this is absolutely a hardware issue. There is no service menu adjustment or setting that could fix this. To truly fix it would be a major repair, replacing the main board (motherboard) inside the tv, and again I would not consider it worth the investment. I'd either get by with 1 less port, or replace the tv.

Really? Only works for three years? Honestly? We had an earlier 60" CRT rear projection TV that worked for twenty years and only got rid of it because it was old standard definition. GREAT TV for its time.

Yes, seriously.

Modern flat screen tvs are not built the way the old tube tvs were.

Even for the better quality brands, 5 years is what you can expect out of them, and sony honestly is not the best anymore. This is a completely normal lifespan for these tvs before they develop some type of fault or board issue which is generally not worth repairing.

WOW. How awful. Anyway, thanks for your help. I DID find the tiny little power button. I'll try your suggestion, understanding that if it doesn't work, that's the end of that. Thank you.

You're very welcome.

I would consider repair or replacement a bit drastic in this case though, if it really is just 1 port not working.

All of them would be a deal breaker but most people could get by with 1 less hdmi port

Nathan, Installer