Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung PN60F8500AF Plasma TV that's about 3 or 4

Customer Question

I have a Samsung PN60F8500AF Plasma TV that's about 3 or 4 years old. Suddenly tonight it will not power up. The cord is connected firmly and the outlet is working. The TV has no power at all.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Samsung PN60F8500AFXZA
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No. Nothing is working on the TV. The cable box is on bu no lights at all on the TV.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We came home fromwork and it would not go on. It has been working fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: I don't think so. It's like the TV is unplugged.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Are you still having the same issue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That did not work. There's still no power. No lights.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was just charged $28 and now it's $26 more to talk with someone? Is that correct? What did I pay $28 for?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and since you're still having the same problem, then unfortunately this indicates the set's power supply board has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. Only a screwdriver and about a half hour of your time. That part can be purchased for your set at the link below for $140:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-PN60F8500AFXZA-Power-Supply-BN44-00602A-PSPF751503A-PN60F8500-/292109885179?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of work, then at a shop this is $200-$250 parts and labor, which is typically not cost effective as a brand new 42" LED Smart TV starts at around the same cost. However if you'd like to inquire on repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I’m a user of the site like you, so I don’t have any insight into your account, billing, or what you’re seeing on your end. You can contact Customer Service directly at: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help if you’d like.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm also not available by phone- the website sends this offer without my consent. Again- I'm just a user of the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Regarding your TV question- that part I posted above is what's needed to fix this issue. No signs of life at all directly points to a failure of the power supply board. Replacing it yourself saves you roughly $100 over what a tech would charge. Otherwise- was there anything else you needed regarding your TV?