Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My samsung DLP TV cuts off randomly by itself, we have

My samsung DLP TV cuts off randomly by itself, we have replaced the lamp and it did not help.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: over 10 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.
I am reviewing your question and will post again momentarily.
Please send me a hello in the mean time so i know you are there ?

By the way at some point you will receive an automated phone offer sent by the website ,not by me

Please note that I need time to type and research for parts and info if needed so don't be surprised if there are delays between replies
Also ,Could you please give me the model number written on the tv`s back cover ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Up s6187w

Sorry but i`m no longer available for this and will repost your question

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Please just standby and someone should be with you shortly .

When the set cuts off- what do each of the three lights on the front of the set do (please state each one's status- On/Off, Color, and whether Solid or Blinking).

Also are the symptoms 100% the same both before AND after replacing the Lamp?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One red, two green lights blink
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No difference with the new bulb

Okay, so the first one is red, next two are green- and ALL THREE blink?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they all three blink

Okay, this typically happens when there's a failure in the TV (the power supply being the most common)- since a new lamp didn't help. I need some more info- when you first press power- do the fans fire up and does the TV make and attempt to spark the lamp? Also does the picture come on- even for a second? Is there any audio from the TV? Please provide as much detail as possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It comes on normally, fans,lights and audio and when it gets ready to turn off it makes a noise sort of a whining noise and turns off

Okay I need some clarification- when you say "lights"- do you mean the Lamp lights up the screen? Also you said "when it gets ready to turn off"- I don't know what you mean by that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right before the tv turns completely off you can here a humming sound. When I say lights I can see the lamp on and the tv picture is on

When the picture is on, is the color distorted- anything else worth noting, or does it appear perfectly normal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Perfectly normal

This isn't something that can be accurately diagnoses online I'm afraid. The whining noise points to a color wheel fault, or in some cases one of the three fans. Yes the picture appearing perfectly normal would mean the color wheel is fine. That said, you're most likely culprit is the power supply board- but voltage testing within the set using a multi-meter would be needed to narrow it down further. Are you a DIY type with tools and experience and looking to repair this yourself? Or were you looking for a repair estimate, and service locator?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's fairly old so I may just get a new tv

I can understand that, and generally parts are hard to find on these DLP sets since they're not made any longer. With the average cost being in the $350-$400 range, it does make the most sense cost-effectively, to purchase a new set.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sure. Thank you

You're welcome and all the best.