Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have two cable boxes that are within 10 feet of each other

Customer Question

I have two cable boxes that are within 10 feet of each other but in separate rooms. Sometimes when I fast forward on one remote it makes both tvs FF. Can I fix this?
JA: What is the exact make and model of your tv? And how long has this been an issue?
Customer: Two different makes/models. I'll go find the exact..
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: RCA 32LA30RG and Samsung Dolby Digital Model??? This has been happening consistently since we got xfinity, but lately at least once or twice a day.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I going to have to retype all of this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with this.

Those would obviously be DVR cables boxes , is there an open doorway between the two rooms ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

What are the remote controls , RF or infrared ?

Do you have a model number on those or perhaps who is your cable supplier ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One is a DVR, the other is a child. Yes there is an open doorway between the two rooms. The tvs face opposite directions.
Infrared remotes, Comcast Xfinity supplier.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

White walls i take it ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK Jack, where are you?
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

What i`m thinking is that the infrared light could be bouncing off the white walls to affect the other cable box

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
34;NO" I don't want a phone call
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

That was an automated offer from the website, not me , just ignore it if you don`t want it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Knotty pine walls... not white
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Jack. I don't think you will be able to help me. There is supposed to be a way to program the remote to keep this from happening. I was under the impression yholu were part of Comcast. Apparently you are not. Thank you for your time
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

In any case it is obvious the light affects the other box who seem to be quite sensitive .

I do have a suggestion but it is not exactly conventional .

You could try for a test to partially block th e remote sensor window or even try to shade it with a colored plastic or even sunglasses

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Its not programming , you cannot program the remote for the cable box , it is already preset and cannot be changed

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

looks like you are out now so will I