Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

No power to tv set. Vizio E371VL about 4 to 5 years old,

Customer Question

No power to tv set.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Vizio E371VL about 4 to 5 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Does not turn on.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Hasn't been an issue. Watching TV, heard a pop from the set, screen went blank and vizio symbol on the front not lit.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This is an incredible age for a vizio product to last. These vizio sets typically only last a year or two, being built for a low price point rather than for quality or longevity. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $300 range. I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired. My apologies for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your $28 fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.