Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We moved and the mirror in our Mitsubishi DLP TV was

Customer Question

Hi! We moved and the mirror in our Mitsubishi DLP TV was cracked. Is it difficult and/or worth it to replace it?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is a WD65638 and is probably 7+ years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes, there's a crack across the screen
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it happened during a household move
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's pretty much it
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Offhand, just to make sure we're looking at the correct repair- is the crack physically in the screen- or is it the projected image that shows with a crack?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

The reason I'm asking is that there is not a mirror but an internal "Lens" that refracts the image onto the screen, then there's also the screen itself. The screen itself is NOT cost effective to repair and also not available for separate purchase generally (when they are they're in the $1,600 range). However the projection lens that reflects the image onto the screen can be replaced. To replace the Lens requires removal and replacement of the "Light Engine" in the set (which contains all of the optics associated with producing the image on the screen).

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

The part that would need to be replaced in the case of the internal lens cracking is: Mitsubishi 938P174020 (938P174B20) Optical Engine, and that is a $400-$450 part. The cost of labor to have a technician perform this repair is in the $300-$450 range giving an overall cost of between $700-$900 parts and labor for this repair. While it IS repairable- it is not considered cost effective as a brand new 65" LED Smart TV can be purchased for that same cost and would be money better spent.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Do you need further assistance, or links to the service manual and parts for this?