Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Insignia 40 TV isn't turning on, the red light in the corner

Customer Question

Insignia 40 TV isn't turning on, the red light in the corner isn't powered up
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Insignia is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's 3 years old and the model is a led TV model number ns-40d510na15
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No it's not turning on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just happened today, I unplugged it out of the socket and just plugged it in my room
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is already well past the service life expected of an insignia product. These tvs are built for a low price point, not for quality, and as such it is normal and expected for them to last just a year or two at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty from a more reputable brand in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,