TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Is it possible to get local TV antenna signal through the

internet? I have an antenna...
Is it possible to get local TV antenna signal through the internet? I have an antenna on my roof but some channels dont get good signal no matter how I position the antenna. I have also seen filters that filter out LTE cell phone signals to improve TV siganl, do those help?
4/8/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Hello John, what model tv are you using?

Panasonic TC-P50X1N

You can't get all stations through the internet, there are on demand and streaming apps for some specific channels, but more on a national level such as for nbc, cbs, abc, etc. Some local stations may have an app but they are usually not a live stream, more of on demand content. Such apps are not supported on this tv itself as it is not a smart tv, but you can access them through an external streaming device like a roku or fire tv or chromecast.

How far from the station transmitters are you? What type of antenna?

This is the antenna I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8NX6NM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1I don't know how far I am from the station, but I would say under 20 miles.
What do you think about this filter?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGSC5AO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That antenna itself is fine, but the amp on it is probably insufficient or even making it worse.
I'd try it without that amp connected at all and see what you get.

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest a different amp: http://amzn.to/2nVgRnN

As for the filter, that is exactly the one I'd recommend.

I have 6 rooms in the house.
Some rooms are upstairs far away from where the TV antenna cable comes into the house, and then that cable splits out to each room in the house.Should I use 1 amp for each room?
Or do they make an amp that can supply multiple rooms?

Just a single amp is fine, this amp goes on the mast outside, it is more of a preamp, making sure that the signal coming into the house is strong enough.

I'd try that route first. if you find that some channels work on some tvs but not others, or that you're getting droputs or pixelation on certain tvs, then an internal distribution amp would be called for.

All TVs in the house drop the same channels. So I am sure it is a problem with the antenna.So I have to install the amp on the roof? Next to the antenna?
The problem is that I don't have a 110v power plug on the roof.Is the amp you suggested water proof for outdoor use?

The amp is waterproof

it goes outside, and it gets power through the coax. it comes with a little splitter/tap that injects power into the system, you'd put that on the closest drop inside, preferably.

Where should I install the filter?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGSC5AO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1Inside the house or on the roof?
Before the amp or after the amp?

I would put the filter outside, before the amp, that way you are not picking up stray signals and further amplifying them.

You might want to get a rubber boot to put over it to protect it from direct elements: https://alexa.design/2oS8BcX

or if you get the preamp I mentioned, just put it right under it (screwed to the input of the preamp, then cord from the antenna into the filter) and that will at least cover it from above.

Do I need 2 of these rubber boots? 1 on each side of the filter?

You really only need it on the vertical side, it will be long enough to pretty much cover it, unless you get a lot of sideways rain

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer