TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I would like to connect my TV antenna to a TV in one of the

rooms in my house. The...
I would like to connect my TV antenna to a TV in one of the rooms in my house. The TV antenna on the roof is connected with a coaxial cable to a distribution box inside the house. From the distribution box several coaxial cables go to the various rooms in the house. The particular room that I would like to connect the TV antenna to the TV has the coaxial cable entering inside the closet. However that is a bit far from the TV which is installed on a wall inside the room far away from the closet. There are however several wires (Ethernet connector) that go from inside the closet to the back of the TV on the wall. Can I use two of those wires from the Ethernet connector to connect to the coaxial cable that comes from the antenna? And then get the other end of those 2 wires on the back of the TV and attach a coaxial connector to them so that it would connect to the coaxial antenna input on the back of the TV?Or would this cause noise and distortion in the signal?
3/24/2017
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Hello John,

No, that would not work for this purpose. Ethernet is packet based data, such as for computer networks, it would not work for a tv broadcast signal. You'd need to extend the coax cable, which you can do with an extension and splitter if needed. Typically in such an install you'd tack the cable along the baseboards and even paint to match if it needs to be concealed but can't be run within the wall.

If that is not ideal, if you are in an urban/suburban area, you could also just get a small indoor antenna for this particular tv: http://amzn.to/2obbd1i

Best regards,

I can not run coaxial wires like, I don't like to have wires running outside the walls.But I see in another room that the same ethernet cable was used to connect AV wires from a cable box inside the closet to the back of the TV on the wall, then the ethernet cable was converted to AV connectors and attached to the back of the TV.How come it can be used for AV wires and not an antenna?

I think what you are calling ethernet is more likely a hdmi cable, like this: http://amzn.to/2niLKFk

Please also see converter:
https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-41151-Female-Video/dp/B000Q5Y9KG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490330784&sr=8-2&keywords=coaxial+to+ethernet+converterIt converts ethernet wires to coaxial connector.
No it is not HDMI.

That adapter you mentioned has a specific purpose, for a narrow frequency band such as certain analog security cctv cameras, not for antenna signals.

What would happen if I used it for a TV antenna?
This one on Amazon says it can send VHF signals:https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Converter-Adapter-sender-receiver/dp/B00LNLETMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490330921&sr=8-1&keywords=RJ45+to+coaxial

I think you would get a badly degraded signal or no signal at all.

If you are using similar baluns for a/v signals, such as a composite video (red/white/yellow ports on tv), that can work, in limited capacity, an analog signal on a specific frequency, direct audio and video. Taking an antenna, which is a wide bandwidth spectrum of frequencies, is entirely different. I do not expect you would get any results.

You can certainly try, but I do not expect it would work.

I see. Thank You.Are there are wireless transmitters that I could use instead of running wires outside the walls?

The 2nd item you mentioned, http://amzn.to/2nOxg1w could maybe work, that is a big maybe. Distance is the biggest factor. Again really only a test it and see approach would work there. I'm not optimistic but you can always return to amazon if it does not work I suppose.

A wireless transmitter, for the same reasons, won't work. Those are meant to take a specific singular output, such as from a cable box, vcr, etc and transmit it to another unit. Not to take all available over the air signals from an antenna and resend.

If wires are a no go for you, just add an antenna on the back of this tv, it would be the best alternative.

Thank You.
It is a 2 story house and the indoor antennas do not get good reception in rooms on the first floor.
I have to use a high quality antenna on the roof to get good signal.Could you please explain for me why the 2nd item could work?
https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Converter-Adapter-sender-receiver/dp/B00LNLETMA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1490330921&sr=8-1&keywords=RJ45+to+coaxial&linkCode=sl1&tag=p0llinate-20&linkId=e3301cf87a89687c2819d66e766b586fAren't they all passing the signal through same thickness of wires?What is the difference between a coaxial cable and regular wires? The coaxial cable just has 1 wire in the center and a ground shield around it for noise reduction, correct?Sorry to ask so many questions :)

Well the first one has BNC connectors, yes they are similar, but it is meant for security cameras and they usually have amplification circuitry in them for a specific frequency. That and you have to add on other adapters to convert to coax, all of which add more loss.

The 2nd item *could* potentially work. Using ethernet like this though is taking a heavily shielded high grade cable and breaking it down to send on an unshielded ungrounded cable. For a short distance it may be fine. I have not tested one personally so I can't say for sure. I am skeptical, but it is possible. Things like this often have some effect, but introduce so much noise or cross talk so as not to be useful.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer