TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My seiki 32" tv seems yo ne having trouble turning on. The

power light flashes red a...
My seiki 32" tv seems yo ne having trouble turning on. The power light flashes red a few times and the screen starts to light up then goes off again. It does this a couple of times before it eventually turns on has been doing thus for a couple of days
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Erm it's a seiki 32" led tv model number se32hy01uk I think 😊 no not done it before yesterday. Had it about 18 months
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It does it on all sources but seems to be worse on one of the hdmi sockets. Menu button works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Only an issue since yesterday the tv had been switched off at the mains all day.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Erm I think that's it 😊
1/11/2017
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Offhand, these symptoms point towards a premature failure in the TV (which is something we commonly with these Seiki sets unfortunately), and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Unfortunately, if the issue goes beyond this, then it does indicate a premature failure of the power supply (which is also the mainboard in this set), and would require replacement of that board to fix the issue. In this case the part for your set can be purchased at the link below and is a "plug and play" component (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiki-SE32HY01UK-Main-AV-Power-Supply-PCB-TP-SIS231-PT751-SY14499-/332070857415?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Beyond that, a shop would typically charge close to 75% of what the TV cost when new to replace this part, in which case- it's not cost effective as Seiki is an "off brand" set and prone to more failures like this than say LG or Samsung. In the case you choose not to do the work yourself, it is generally not cost effective to have the TV repaired.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Do you need further help with this?

Aric, Technician
Hi thank you...I have tried this a couple of times and the problem persists. Thank you for your advice ��

You're welcome and best of luck with the set.

Aric, Technician