TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a high definition plasma television that has started

I have a high definition...
I have a high definition plasma television that has started to turn itself off whenever it feellieit
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Panasonic TH-50PE7OOU and the stamp says it was made in 2007
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it just started. during the weekend we experienced a power outage. the outage occurred then came back on several second later. It repreated this same thing again and then the power went out. I had to leave so I do not know when the power came back on but that is when it started. this was Saturday and I have done no troubleshooting for fear of messing something up
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
1/11/2017
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

When the TV shut itself off, does the power light on the front of the set begin to blink at all? If so, can you count the groups of blinks between pauses (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.) and let me know what your set is doing?

no, it does not ever blink it just goes off. if I try to restart it I cannot, however, if a wait just a few minutes the tv will turn on. the last time I tried this the tv stayed on for about 20 minutes then shut itself off again
I do not need to talk to you just type your answer

Thanks for the reply- and I'm not offering the phone call (the site does that without my knowledge). Offhand, there's nothing in the settings, etc. of the TV that will cause/fix this- the set is shutting off because of a fault occurring internally. If you're not getting any power light when it shuts down, then it's generally caused by a faulty mainboard, and requires replacement of that part to fix the issue. That said, this is a 10 year old TV- and not uncommon to have this failure around this age. I'm not sure if you're looking to swap out the part yourself?

I was concerned that the answer I was going to get was something like you said. I do not think I can replace this myself. I will most likely just give the tv a burial

That part is available used for $40 at the link below and is a "plug and play" board- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. If you or someone you know is comfortable removing the back of the set, you can do this yourself and save roughly $250 over what a shop would charge (if that is cost effective to you?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361477724768?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with this type of repair- then given a shop charge is close to $300 parts and labor, it would not be cost effective, as Plasma sets run hot and there are other boards within the TV that are weak, and will likely fail in short time. Given that a brand new 50" LED Smart TV can be purchased for about the same cost, it would make more sense to put that money towards replacement versus repairs I'm afraid.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician