TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Tv works. But no sound, Indigo a. BD rvp3a 13. 2-3 yrs old,

Customer Question
Tv works. But no sound JA...
Tv works. But no sound
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Indigo a. BD rvp3a 13. 2-3 yrs old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works. All other tvs work(2)nosing comes on when a tv in living room is on. Off again !
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Worked last nite but no sound this AM
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: No I just don't know anything else to do
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
1/11/2017
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 10 months ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Please note that I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me and without my knowledge
By the way , Pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions .
Can you please send me a reply when ready ?

What do you need to know ? Tv works but no sound

How do you receive your tv channels , antenna ,cable box or satellite box ?

Cable box

O.k then as cable boxes are known to cause sound problems , the first thing to try would be a reboot ;

Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.

Let me know how that goes

If that answers your question please do take the time to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .

Living room & bedroom tvboth have pic & sound but den tv only has pic. No sound

Did you reboot the box in the den ?

That is what we were talking about yes ?

Does it sound like a tv problem or cable?

If the reboot didn`t bring back the sound then you would have to try something else like a dvd or even an old vcr on this tv to see if it has sound .

If you have nothing else you could try then connect the incoming cable directly into the TV's cable terminal at the rear and set the tv to tuner/tv mode , there should be some channels in the lower bands and you`ll know if there is sound

If the tv has sound on any of those then the cable box is defective.

If the tv proves to be defective then the audio circuit is located on the main board and is not repairable separately which means the whole board has to be replaced and if you are not into repairing this yourself then you are looking at perhaps $200 + parts (average $80) in repairs at home and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself.

For that type of money you could buy yourself a nice sound bar , you can get a very decent one for $120 .
That would fix this problem along with giving you a better sound than original with the tv speakers alone and that can could even be used with future tv sets.

This sound bar would be connected directly at the cable box audio outs either digital or analog , all cable box have them beside HDMI

Even the TV's optical/digital audio out should still be fully functional , either ways you have a sound source
That is the workaround most often used nowadays.

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do take the time to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician