Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

The screen flickered and went blank. The only sign of life

Customer Question

The screen flickered and went blank. The only sign of life is a blinking red power button
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: I'm going to the TV to find the model #
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Model number is *****
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Happened last night. The screen flickered and then went dead. We can't get anything on the screen. It's black.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am the technician assigned to help you and I will do my best to provide you with excellent service. I have been helping people on this site since 2009, which supports my livelihood. Every moment that I am helping you is on the honor system, until you submit a positive 3-5 star rating when I provide your answer.

I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. Now that you are talking to a real technician, please reply asap so that I know you are ready to proceed.

Have you tried anything to get the tv working again? like anything with the tv cords?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to say this is most likely some type of failure that will require parts and service but to be sure please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-press and hold the power button on the tv (not remote) for 20 seconds and release.
-plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on.

If that does not help then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The tv needs diagnosis, parts, and service.

As a technician, theoretically I could help you with that but if you do not have the needed skills and tools then I would not recommend you repair a tv of this size and age due to the high cost of parts/labor and probability of more internal failures. But at least you saved a lot of money by coming here first- typically repair shops charge $99 up front just for diagnosis (to hand you an estimate).

Despite the bad news, I hope you appreciate the answer that I provided so far. If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option.

Please submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are not sure about giving me 5 stars, please tell me how I can possibly change that!

Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?