Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

LG model # 60PN6550 turns on and off by itself and sometimes

Customer Question

LG model # 60PN6550 turns on and off by itself and sometimes when you push any random button on remote it shuts off and won't come on but by itself like 5 mins later.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok sounds good
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello Jason,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is about at the end of its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, updating to the latest 4k picture quality, in the $600 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm reading online this is a common problem with lg tvs...would if be the power supply board or the main board?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

It is a toss up really, it could be either, or more than half a dozen other boards (plasmas are rather complex, which is why they fell out of favor as they were so expensive to build and repair).

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the main board, since it seems triggered by button presses.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it does happen with the remote and sometimes it just does it on it own...so that leads you to lean more towards the main board? Can you tell me the part number of that main board?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Part number should be LG EBT61855027, but double check your existing before buying.

Here is one source: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/LG-ELECTRONICS-EBT61855027-/EBT61855027

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.