Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a 12 year old Hitachi Ultravision 42 inch Plasma TV.

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Hitachi Ultravision 42 inch Plasma TV. We are having problems with it. When you turn it on, the picture may come on for a few seconds or minutes -- but then shuts off. If I unplug the TV, cable box, etc and restart, it would take a few mins but it would eventually come back on. Now, you have to repeat several times for it to work. Can it be fixed?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is 12 years old. I don't have the model in front of me but it is a 42 inch plasma.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I only us it to watch cable on comcast. I assume the menu works if the picture is on....
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it's been an issue for at least 6 mos....but it is getting worse. Not sure anything precipitated it.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am the technician assigned to help you and I will do my best to provide you with excellent service. I have been helping people like you on this site since 2009, which supports my livelihood. Every moment that I am helping you is on the honor system, until you submit a positive 3-5 star rating when I provide your answer.

I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. Now that you are talking to a real technician, please reply asap so that I know you are ready to proceed.

Are you trying to perform the repairs yourself or by a repair shop?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would not be able to fix anything
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, well it is fixable but expect to pay around $300-$450. Personally, I think it would be best to use that toward a new tv.

But it was very smart of you to come here first- typically repair shops charge $99 up front just for diagnosis (to hand you an estimate).

I hope the answer I provided was complete. If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option.

Please submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what do u think the issue is? How would it be fixed?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Impossible for anyone to say based only on external symptoms. The tv needs to be opened up and diagnosed with a meter while the power is plugged in. Then parts ordered based on those tests.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. Thx
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Before you go, please submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page so that I am recognized for helping with your question. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?