Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

For a rca ac adapter used as a power supply for tv signal

Customer Question

for a rca ac adapter used as a power supply for tv signal boost to get hot
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: is it normal for a RCA ac adapter to get hot when it is plugged in
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: when it was installed a few months ago
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is it dangerous to leave it plugged in. i diconnect it when i leave.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Yes, it is very normal and typical for AC adapters to get warm to the touch when they are plugged in, since they are providing current and either have a small transformer, or a switch mode power supply internally that is working to convert AC to DC. However, if you mean HOT (to the point where you cannot keep the top of your hand resting against it for a count of 5), then that is too hot and would indicate that the AC adapter is over-working, and likely defective.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

If it is simply warm, then it isn't a worry or a fire hazard. If it's so hot you cannot keep your hand on it, then it's too hot and indicates a defective AC adapter and it should be replaced. If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.