Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Sony Bravia, playing fine on Directv last night and suddenly

Customer Question

Sony Bravia, playing fine on Directv last night and suddenly it blacks out. Took it off the wall to try another power source and you can hear a "click" sound when you plug it in, but the power light won't come on and there is no picture.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Bravia, about 3-4 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: All sources are still coming on fine, though we can't see anything due to the tv problem. We have electric everywhere and I checked, no circuit breakers tripped. Definitely a tv problem.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: First time it happened was last night at 7pm. We took it off to check power in another outlet as mentioned and I checked again this morning...nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is all I know..
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

- Could you please get me the model number written on back cover of TV?

These info will help to troubleshoot the problem.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
KDL-46BX420
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's talk this way for now....I am thinking the tv is not worth fixing as prices are so low these days at Walmart. But if there is an easy fix that I can do myself from home, then fine. Just need your thoughts.
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the info, typing answer for you, give me minutes please.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Since no power light lit or blink when press power button to switch On while power cord is plugged in, it shows power supply board or main board failure, it needs further troubleshooting with voltmeter to determine what board is bad to get it replaced. If you get standby 3.3V DC output on connector CN6401 of power supply board then it is main board failure and if missing standby 3.3V supply then replace power supply board.

Unfortunately both boards price is high at following supplier or search/ google the required board for better price..

https://www.partstore.com/Model/Sony/Sony/KDL46BX420.aspx

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?