Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sony DVD/VHS Recorder Model RDR-VX51. I

Customer Question

I have a Sony DVD/VHS Recorder Model RDR-VX51. I inadvertently inserted a VHS tape in while a DVD disk was already in and now neither will eject.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Purchased in Nov 2005. Model RDR-VX515
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Within the last 30 minutes. Tried unplugging the power for 30 seconds and turning on power (twice) and no effect.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Will either of them play?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I've sent an optional phone support offer at your request. If you prefer we can continue here in the chat format as well. Just let me know either way.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Chat format pls
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Yes I'm here,

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place), which applies to both units. Since both are exhibiting this behavior though, it can also be a failed or corrupted control board.

There are a few things you can try:
First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.
If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.
Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I get back to you?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Right here, just bookmark/favorite this page to reach me when ready.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Nathan but the solution(s) provided did not work.
Please refund my $24 fee.
Bill
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Bill this was simply a first step, and not a guaranteed fix. As I explained if this did not work then it would indicate a hardware failure and further repairs would be required. At that point it is time for a new system as they are not economical to fix.

For comparison purposes, had you gone to a repair shop, you'd be paying a $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help. Asking for a refund at this point has the effect of me having to work for free for my time spent in good faith to help you.