Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

One day when the TV was turned on the screen was -washed.

Customer Question

One day when the TV was turned on the screen was white-washed. Everything still works but it looks like the brighness was turned up to 150%. You can see the picture, it's just washed out with a lot of white. I've tried isolating why it's doing that but it appears system-wide. You'll see it when you first turn on the TV when the Sony logo appears. It's there on OTA tuning, HDMI1 and HDM2, it's there on the overlay menus, etc. Leaving everything unplugged for over an hour didn't help (also held power button down with everything unplugged to try to drain off any power, something I've done on PCs, not sure if it helps TV).
I've worked in IT for many years and have done lots of repairs, but just a few TVs so far. Probably one or more boards to replace, which I'm comfortable doing, but would like to replace just the one that's bad if possible.
TV is a Sony KDL-55EX720
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Please note that I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me and without my knowledge
By the way , Pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions .
Can you please send me a reply when ready ?

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

As you don`t seem to be available at this time i will step out for a bit

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm here. Can't think of anything to add beyond my original post.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

Back , I`m the one who has a question although I have a pretty good idea what this is

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

The TV's own menu is also washed out ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The opening splash screen with the Sony logo when you power on the TV. That is washed out just like everything else.
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

O.k was actually asking about the menu where you find the settings but i have no doubt that it is also affected

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

What you appear to have is a defective t-con board part # LJ94-03895J ,H or F ,that is 3 possible version here and if you are into this then this would have to be verified on a sticker on yours which one you have .

Here is a link where you can see one of them , not in stock but just to show you ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-lj94-03895j-t-con-board.htm

Samsung makes the t-con for those sony by the way

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do take the time to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .