technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician
Experience:  Technician at LocalTechShop
65369237

I was just given a Pioneer plasma tv..PDP5080HD..KUCXC..S/N

Customer Question

Pearl, I was just given a Pioneer plasma tv..PDP5080HD..KUCXC..S/N G1PM026312UC. I don't have the remote. The unit powers on but won't get any channels. .I'm connected to a Leaf antenna on input A..TV Guide on Screen continues to show "in progress " after 48+hrs. Any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Not sure of age but model is PDP5080HD
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu doesn't work. .I can go thru Inputs. .lower left shows time and channel #but no picture
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Not sure. .tv was stored/inactive for months
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The other thing is I've tried to connect 2 IR remote apps which work on my other tvs but was unable to get any response. .also tried my ATTUVERSE remote which was unable to program as well
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please elaborate what you mean by "MENU doesn't work".

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

You need to be able to get into the MENU to go to Channel setup, select "AIR" and run a "Channel Scan", so are you saying you're unable to do that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't access the menu. .unit powers on. .I can go thru the various inputs. .all that shows is a time and channel # on input A, but no picture. .then there's a TV GUIDE on screen function that continues too say "in progress "
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Well if you can't access the MENU then you have a defective Mainboard in the set, since you can't receive any channels without setting up the tuner mode in the MENU. Did you get this set in known working condition?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm trying to find out of it worked previously or if the remote is still available. .no button on set for MENU. .was wondering if there was a combination to hit?
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Oh, you don't have a remote? Well that is the problem then. You should have not said "MENU does not work"- since you can't even try to access the MENU without a remote. Let me see if I can find a remote for this set and I will also send you a link to the manual so you can get this rolling.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

You'll need the OEM remote to access the intimate setup and menu functions of the set and then be able to setup your HDTV antenna. The remote can be purchased at the link below (although it is a bit pricey for this set, but this TV went for around $5,000 when new):

https://www.replacementremotes.com/pioneer/buy-axd1550-tv-remote-control?gclid=Cj0KEQiAnb3DBRCX2ZnSnMyO9dIBEiQAOcXYH8I1mLWwjfyhJQH8M0zJoBbY7LAdQxp2zIORJ_Gjz-oaAoAG8P8HAQ

The manual is at the link below and channel setup is on page 9:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/461076353Product_Manual_PDP-4280HD_5080HD.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. .I tried 2 Android apps Sure TV and Watch on which make my phone a universal remote which works on my other devices, but no response here. .u think there's a problem w the sensor too?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'd appreciate an answer to my last question. .
Expert:  technicalcat replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.
I will help you now.

Do you still need help with this question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do. .trying to decide if it's worth spending $50 for the remote when I'm not sure the IR sensor works. .also wonder if there's a way to set up without the remote?

If you are able to turn the TV on or off, or do any other functions with a remote, then the IR sensor is OK.

The problem you are having is that universal remotes often do not have all the buttons and functions of a factory remote.

On setting up without factory remote, you can try the buttons on the set itself. This may or may not work, but this is an older plasma TV, so it is worth a try.

Please remember to rate my time and help before you go by clicking the STARS or accept button.
This is my job, and the only way I receive credit for helping you is from a positive rating.
Rating costs nothing more, and I continue to help with a satisfaction guarantee after rating, so please rate now.
Thank You.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I AM NOT able to turn the unit on/off except manually. .no codes work and I don't yet have an OEM remote

I'm confused by your previous response. Are you able to get any response on the set at all for any functions? This could include volume, changing input, and so on. If you can't with your remote, I'd suggest re-programming the remote, and making sure that your remote is indeed compatible with this set you have. 99% of the time, if the remote is compatible and programmed correctly, it will turn the set on and off, and basic function like volume will work. So, if you've confirmed all that, then you may want to consider replacing the IR board. However, if it were me, I might consider getting a factory remote first, just on the outside chance that your remote isn't compatible/working with this set. Then you could test, and possibly return that remote if you still have no results. You mention "codes" which leads me to believe you are using one of the older style pushbutton type universal remotes, as opposed to a higher end home theater remote like a harmony. the "code" type remotes can be unreliable and incompatible, and if you aren't connecting it to a computer, then it's also not ever updated.