Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony 40inch TV. The power light does not show on

Customer Question

I have a Sony 40inch TV. The power light does not show on standby to enable the TV come up if you press the power button or the remote power button. What can be done.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am still waiting for guidelines to solve the problem
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a multimeter available to take some test readings?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i do have a multimeter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i live in Nigeria
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Ok, can you test the voltage outputs from the power supply board and let me know what they are?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, i will get back to you soon.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
oh my light is off. I will need to go get fuel for my Gen. to enable me check the voltage.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Ok.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am having issue with my multimeter, it got burnt on the process of getting the voltage from the board though it's my own mistake, i left on ohms while testing DC voltage. I am making arrangement to get another one, please exercise a little patient.thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Ok :)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello Pete, i have gotten a multimeter, at what point should i test for the voltages and also remember i said i bought a brand new pcb.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A brand new pcb from China through Ebay.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, you are not online, let me know when you come on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am still waiting. Time difference is our major problem here.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

Can you check standby 3.3V DC output on power supply board connector that goes to main board of TV?

3.3V would be stamped near the connector.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The 3.3V is not always available. When it's available, it will fluctuate to up to 37V
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
on the old power board, it is not available at all while the new board i bought from Ebay is the one fluctuating.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

This is odd reading, set your voltmeter to DC Volt range and measure DC 3.3V at pin-3 at connector CN6200 of power supply board, these volts should be constant.

If volts is available and no standby/ power light solid or blink on TV front then replace the main board of TV which isn't working and causing the problem. I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what i have here is CN6402 which has the DC 3.V at pin 3 fluctuating. This is the new power supply board i from China through Ebay.com. Does it mean the board is bad? or rather which one is the main board of TV(the one with HDMI plugs with audio input and output) i need to know.
thank,
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

Its OK, unplug CN6402 and check 3.3V DC which would be available all the time when plug TV power cord in.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the 3.3V DC is available on pin 3
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

Is the 3.3V stable/ constant?

If so, replug CN6402 and again check 3.3V that should stay stable/ constant.

If volt goes low/ high that means main board is bad and should be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where and how can i get the main board. I live in Nigeria West Africa. Meanwhile let me plug it back and read the voltage.
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

I'm afraid I have no idea about market in Nigeria and you would need to contact Sony service center in Nigeria to get replacement main board, if required.

Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?