Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung tv has started failing to respond to powering on

Customer Question

My Samsung tv has started failing to respond to powering on in the mornings. So far unplugging the power and replugging has made it start. What is going on? It is only two or three years old I think
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It has been off overnight and then sometimes in the morning it doesn't come on
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No the blue ray and the cable box work, it is only the tv that seems to have no power. The menu doesn't work because the tv is devoid of power. So far we have unplugged and replugged the tv into the wall and also replugged the power line into the tv and after doing that it has started...so far
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This only started this week. There was nothing that preceded it, like a change in something or a power storm
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I can't think of anything
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Can you get me the model number off of the back of the Samsung please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
model code UN37EH5000FXZA
VERSION NO AS01
S/N Z5Z43CTD100557H
MADE IN VIETNAM
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Offhand these symptoms are somewhat common with Samsung sets (unfortunately) and it indicates a premature failure of the Mainboard in most cases, and generally requires replacement of that part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
MODEL NO UN37EH5000F
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We will do that tomorrow morning if the set fails to come on. Right now, its working, so I cannot test it. Seems to happen when the TV is idle overnight. Can I get a case number ***** contact you if it does not work?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. If the issue goes beyond that, then the set requires repairs made unfortunately, which is on average a $200 repair on this set (which may not be cost effective given the TV can be replaced for about the same cost).

I'm not privy to any case numbers, etc. You can reply back here at anytime by, Bookmarking the Page/Add to Favorites, logging onto www.justanswer.com, then clicking on "My Questions", or by clicking on any of the links in the Reply E-mails the site sends you.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?