Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

It's not the TV, it's the DVR. My TV looked weird on channel

Customer Question

It's not the TV, it's the DVR. My TV looked weird on channel 4, which is what I had my DVR set for. It is the DTA880, which does not have a channel 3/4 switch on the back. I tried to change the setting to channel 3, and now all I get is fuzz on the TV. How do I reset the DVR to factory default when I cannot see the screen?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Magnavox TV built in 1994.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I have no way of knowing. All I see is fuzz on the TV. If I were able to actually see the menu I could answer your question.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just started tonight. Before the issue happened I turned on the TV, which was on channel 4, and the picture looked out of whack. That's when I accessed the menu, changed the input to channel 3, and I've had nothing but fuzz since. I've been watching over-the-air TV for about a year and it's never been an issue until tonight..
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes -- how to reset the DVR to factory default.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

This can be caused by the TV's Input being changed, or Cable/SAT box needing to be rebooted.

Please unplug the Cable/SAT box from power and shut the TV off.

Plug the Cable/SAT box back into AC and once it's rebooted turn the TV on, and use the INPUT button on the original TV remote to select the correct Input.

Let me know what happens.