TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Toshiba 46xv645u. Plugged in, no standby light, no picture

Customer Question
or anything. cant seem to...
Toshiba 46xv645u. Plugged in, no standby light, no picture or anything. cant seem to detect any reading anywhere...stdby volts, tv on, nothing...have what CERTAINLY looks like a blown resistor, judging solely on the discoloration...but I dont know how reliable that is to judge that way, so I need some direction.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2017
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 10 months ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

So no standby volts reading at all on power supply board?

Huh. Thats a goofy lookin fuse. So i have to take the board off to test that one, looks like. The glass fuses on front were okay. Let me remove board and chk that one...theres also another 9fnthose at F880 ill chk as well. F870, F840. Ill chk them out. This is the resistor i was talkin about

Resistor shown in picture is 47 ohms 1/2 watt.

Do you think that discoloration is indicative of a blown resistor? And if so...inwill test it, but if so, how would i find a mathlching one on a donor board...are there markings on the resistor, or on the board? Or would i have to get the schematics for the donor board...

Please check the color rings on resistor, you would need to find a resistor having same color rings on other boards to get replacement one.

Discoloration of board shows heat effect and resistor seems not affected.

Gotcha. I tested all those fuses, all fine. I tested this resistor, and it tests blown, i think. It reads continuity beep both ways... reading .086 both ways. Whereas another resistor reads .5 one way, 0L the other eay...which i THINK is more like a correct reading. Anyway, if I can find another resistor with same color rings...is there an orientation it has to be mounted with, I'm guessing? And how do i determine that orientation?

No no, take out one pin of resistor from board, set your meter to Ohms reading and check what ohms reading appear on meter.

In circuit test of resistor doesn't help.

Gotcha. Ill check my in circuit meters and see if one of them had a diode/resistor check, that would b nice. But ya...when i get home, I'll pull a pin and check it. When i get with ya again, i have like maybe 4 more new questions, max, and then i need to fillowup on like 10 or 12 of them that we left hanging from before and i dont think you got paid on, but those are already in your cue, so we wont have to worry about being online at the same time when i open the questions, cause theyll just be reopening the old ones. I'll be home in approximately 9 hours, and online and working only for maybe 3 hours max at that point....lol, im tired, need to catch up on sleep after that and some repairs.

Yeah, let see if in-circuit meter works and at least one pin out of circuit test of that resistor will confirm it.

We will keep working on pending questions.

Thanks.

So it should measure a circuit one way, and OL the other way, right?

you're absolutely right, brother, reads different. reads .082v both ways

so all fuses and capacitors are good on this board, as well. ON the main board for this unit, I don't feel any obviously failed capacitors.....also, there is no 5v.

TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 9 months ago

You mean same resistor shows 0.82 ohms?

Correct

And it's actually .082...could have swirn it said volts, but the meter is and was set to ohms for fuse testing and the like

Color pattern on resistor shows it is 47 ohms. Please click following link to view resistor color code calculator that will help you to get resistor value by adding color pattern..

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-colorcode.htm

Thanks.

Cool, thanks, ***** ***** chart. I went and got replacement resistors the other day, will solder in the new one here in a few minutes

OK, take your time.

Swapped the resistor. And no luck. So when plugged in, all voltages measure zero. When pressing the power button, or not pressing the power button, the POW_TV lead fluctuates between 0v, and 0.1v.

0 and 0.1V change isn't noticeable and should be approx 2~3V to switch On the power supply.

So fuses were good, and still no voltage....you said this means its the power supply? What do i do to proceed on testing the power supply?

While power cord is plugged in, power board should provide standby volts even all connectors are off, do you get standby volts reading?

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician