Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a vizio tv and the remote has worked in the past. It

I have a vizio tv and the remote has worked in the past. It all works except the volume. I've changed the batteries with no solution. Any hints how to solve the problem, Pat
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: Gmail
JA: How do you access your email most often? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Phone or tablet
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Change batteries, used the manual volume controls which does work
JA: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Hi Pat,

What is the model number of the tv?
Is this the original vizio remote, or some other remote?

Does the tv respond to its own onboard buttons?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Visio 39 Tesla, the original Visio remote and remote for DVR do not work. This all started when I changed DVR. They both worked with other DVR. The new DVR and its remote work in all function but volume control. The manual buttons on Visio control the volume

So at this point even the vizios own original remote won't control volume (but does control power, menu, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The volume is the only problem

Okay, it is possible this is the same fault on both remotes, but more likely a tv issue.

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly. You'll notice that on some vizio remote buttons like menu and channel, do you see the same thing on volume buttons?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not see any light emitting. Only the light on the button pushed

Are you using a camera display for this? It is not visible to the naked eye.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did it wrong and I do see a white while looking through the digital camera on the Visio remote

You do see the lights on the front when pressing the volume buttons too?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for checking.
So the remote(s) are fine.

This then also unfortunately means that it is a hardware problem in the tv, a fault sensor board or control board.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; These vizio tvs are built for a low price point, not for quality. It is typical for them to last just a few years at best. I didn't see an actual model number, but based on the size you indicated I would estimate it is at least 5 years old.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/brand however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the under $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,