Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

OUR SONY TV IS 3 WEEKS OLD. THIS MORNING IT DOES NOT TURN ON

Customer Question

OUR SONY TV IS 3 WEEKS OLD. THIS MORNING IT DOES NOT TURN ON (NO PICTURE OR SOUND) AND I CAN'T TURN OFF THE BLUE LIGHTED DOT ON THE BOTTOM PANEL. IN OTHER WORDS, IT NEITHER TURNS ON NOR OFF. THANKS, BOB
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MODEL KDL48R510C -- 48". INSTALLED DECEMBER 10.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: IT WORKED LAST NIGHT. WOULD NOT WORK THIS MORNING. I CHANGED BATTERIES IN REMOTE. NO REAL TROUBLE SHOOTING. THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING SONY FOR HELP.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Offhand these symptoms point to a premature failure with the TV's Mainboard- and in most cases it should be returned to the retailer as soon as possible for an exchange. You have between 30-45 days from the date of purchase (depending on the retailer) to directly exchange the set for another.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If there's a power button, I can't find it.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Pulling up that info for you now.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Reach around the lower left rear corner of the set, and it's the top button (on the back of the TV).

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If you're still unable to get the set to power on and respond normally to the power button, then unfortunately this indicates a defect within the TV, and it would need to be exchanged through the retailer since it's within the 30 day window from the date of purchase. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ARIC: I TOOK YOUR ADVICE AND NOW THE TV WORKS! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. BOB
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
You're very welcome and I'm glad to hear that. Could you please click a positive rating for my efforts?