Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The other day I lost the category "AV" from my Samsung

Customer Question

the other day I lost the category "AV" from my Samsung LN32D403E2DXZC tv, how can I retrieve it. Thanks Alex.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: LN32D403E2DXZC it's about 3 or 4 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Everything works fine, except I cannot connect a DVD player or VCR to the system because it won't recognize it. When I push the "Source" button the category AV is missing. I tried to reset the system to factory settings but that didn't help. Also using the upgrade software through the T-MX5HAUSE.exe and the "MERGE.bin didn't help, although I got the closed captioning back, which was also missing.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I tried to connect my new radio to the Shaw receiver when it happened. I have Shaw Direct satellite TV
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: This happened the day of New Year's eve or the day before.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Offhand this would point to the set's Mainboard losing it's AV processing (which is not uncommon). However, when you tried to connect your Shaw receiver to the set- if the set was not turned OFF, this is bad and can cause an arc within the Mainboard giving the same symptoms you have.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then remove all AV and HDMI connections from the TV. Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute, then reconnect the AV and HDMI cables (if applicable). Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and then turn on an AV device (DVD, VCR, etc.). Once that device is powered ON, let me know if "Source" on the Samsung remote lets you select it.