Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Have a 10 y/o Panasonic viera plasma. Today I turned it on

Have a 10 y/o Panasonic viera plasma. Today I turned it on and heard click screen illuminated briefing then turned itself off and the I get a blinking power light blinking 11 times.
Tried unplugging for several hours then plugging it back in with the same. Issue wall mounted and HEAVY so a bit of a challenge. With 2 dogs and two cats it has seen some dust so tied a little compressed air through vents on off chance dust was shorting a board. No success - trying to decide if I should try to repair it or go the replacement route.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks

Are you certain it is blinking 11 times?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
have counted it several times it blinks then pauses and repeats
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have counted a couple cycles

Thanks for confirming. I ask because that is not a valid diagnostic code.

It still means something is wrong, but it is an unusual pattern, which pretty much always means a bad main board.

This tv actually isn't that old, it is a 2013 model, but for a bad main board I would not consider it worth repairing. The board is about $250, money that would be better invested in a new 4k LED tv that you could get in the $500 range instead.

I can help with finding parts or replacement recommendations if you'd like though.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just got back from pricing replacement but when I looked up blink codes it looked like it could be a fan motor. Not sure if the model number is ***** though I bought it in Jan 2008 at bestbuy when we moved into new house

Are you sure you gave me the correct model? What you referenced (you are missing part, I assume it is a TC-P55ST60) is a 2013 model, so maybe you had a typo there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't see back of tv well so tried to look it up online looks like there was an ad in the article so I may have gotten wrong number let me double check

Okay well if it is a 2008 model, an 11 blink could be a bad fan or a bad PB board which is basically a fan control board.

Similar answer though, the cost would be a bit less to repair but the bigger problem is that it is nearly impossible to find parts for these and it is significantly past its service life at this point so I would lean heavily toward replacement vs repair, unless the board is readily available and very cheap, which may then be worth a try for repair. I'd really need the full model number to check on parts though.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't get to the part tag on the back without taking TV off wall but did more research most likely TH-58PZ800U

That is a closer fit yes and that would be an 08 model.

This is the part you'd be looking for, luckily cheap and available: http://www.tristatemodule.com/TNPA4243AKS-Panasonic-TV-Module-PB-interface-p/tnpa4243aks.htm

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wow that is cheap! I assume it could also be a problem with one of the fans - do you have a part number for that.

It is possible but fan failure is actually less likely, you would have heard some noise out of them typically.

http://amzn.to/2iYNajB

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks ordered the board. I assume this is not a tough DYI project - I am relatively handy

It is a plug and play part, no soldering necessary.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delay busy work and travel schedule.Still working on the issue. Got TV off the wall this weekend. The fan ports were clogged with dust - vacuumed them out and sprayed with canned air. The tv worked fine after that for two days then the error returned. (Should have left it off the wall for a few days). Plan is to take it down today and take back off.One of the fan motors seemed to stick a little (didn't spin as freely when sprayed with compressed air) will get a better look when the back is off. Also discovered it is a 2007 model so TH-58PZ700U. So I had to order a different PB board the biggest difference is 4fans on 2008 only three on 2007. The back has a fourth fan port but no fan ???Do you know if the 2008 part (CK) might work in 2007 (CS) or does it detect a missing fan - might it suffice to help trouble shoot the problem. I found a source for the new board it was out of stock at the other supplier. Also located fans if I need one. None of them make any noise the third fan might just have some debris that I didn't get out. Just waiting for help to get the monster off the wall again.

I would stick with the original part, it won't work properly to put in the different model. I do see a few available here: http://amzn.to/2jJyvsK

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I ordered it last night from useful parts it says it shipped today. Only $3 +s&h we will see what it looks like when it arrives. Going to be a couple of weeks before I can work on it again.

No worries take your time, and good luck!