Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I had an older samsung tv and traded it for a new Series 8.

Customer Question

I had an older samsung tv and traded it for a new Series 8. The old tv had an audio out that I plugged in a 3.5 bayonet from my Sony wireless headphones. The new TV a "one connect" box with no audio out 3.5 port.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: One second I will check
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It is a model TMR-RF985R and is 2 yrs. old
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The issue occured immediately after I got the new TV with no audio output port
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

That is the model number of your headphones. I need the model number off of the back of your current TV in order to look it up.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Tv is a Samsung UN60KS800DFXZA
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** look now.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

The TV does have an audio output, but it is a "Digital Audio Output"- so it requires a small converter to use with your headphones (all new TV's use the digital audio out as it's used for multi-channel decoding through surround systems). The converter connects to this jack on the TV using an Optical Cable, and then on the converter you will connect your headphones using the Red and White audio outs (a stereo RCA to 1/8" patch cable is needed). I will post links to the two cables and converter needed for this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought a "digital TOSLINK CABLE from Radio shack and connected it to the digital audio out port and then connected that to the 3.5 bayonet on the headphone transmitter. Is this what you are describing or do I need something else?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay you said originally the TV had no audio out. Thanks for the additional information. Yes, the optical cable is what's used and then you go into the Samsung MENU and select external audio system.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Give one minute I am trying that connection....be right back, Den
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I selected optical audio output in settings on the TV. It is showing sound bars (like on an equalizer) moving, but no sound output from the headphones.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

As a next step, please look in the tv settings menu for an Audio Output Format option, set that to PCM/Stereo, and let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey Nathan,
I selected "audio out/optical and have headphones connected to the "digital audio out" on the Samsung smart connect box. That did not solve the issue.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Did you change the audio FORMAT setting though? This is more than just turning on optical, you have to actually set the audio format to pcm/stereo too.
If you don't see that on the tv or it doesn't work you have to do the same on the cable/satellite menu.