TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

There is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a

Customer Question
projection screen, amazon prime tv...
there is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a projection screen, amazon prime tv, & dvd surround
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 8-10 years hitachi 57f59a
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes, no
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: before I got it
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a projection screen, amazon prime tv, & dvd surround
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
there is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a projection screen, amazon prime tv, & dvd surround. how do I make this happen?
1/1/2017
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 10 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...dvd surround..." Additionally, please describe how the dvd surround is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

can you help me

Hi again ,

As posted above; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...dvd surround..." Additionally, please describe how the dvd surround is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

hitachi 57f59a projection screen. using hdmi from dish receiver to tv, a/v cablesfrom dish to dvd surround. want to switch out dish to amazon prime tv, but when I change from input 3 for dish which has sound through dvd surround. to input 1 for the amazon tv I can't seem to get the right connections to include sound

...and the model number of the surround system please?

Still, is there sound from the TV itself?

no sound from tv

Please help me visualize:

• Dish receiver using HDMI cable to the Hitachi and there is video and audio on the Hitachi itself;
  • Dish receiver using a pair of red & white RCA-to-RCA cables to the DVD surround and there is sound from the DVD surround speakers;
  • how is the Amazon Prime TV receiver connected to the Hitachi using what kind of cables?
  • can you provide clear pictures of the Amazon Prime TV receiver and the Hitachi connection jacks & ports / panel? click HERE.
amazon prime has an hdmi , Ethernet, & power. tried to hook hdmi from amazon prime to tv I get picture. a/v cable from tv to dvd surround

On "...tried to hook hdmi from amazon prime to tv I get picture..." but no sound?

we aren't getting anywhere so I'm gonna cancel membership. looks like your offline now

Sorry but I am receiving incomplete if not conflicting information hence to constantly review the above:

• re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...dvd surround..." ;
  • a/v cablesfrom dish to dvd surround then a/v cable from tv to dvd surround.
hitachi 57f59a projection screen tv, dvd surround xv-thg31, amazon fire tv

Thank you for the additional information.

Have you tried / can you please re-try:

• hdmi from dish receiver;
  • from the TV's AUDIO TO Hi-Fi L-AUDIO-R using a pair of red & white RCA-to-RCA cables to the JVC's INPUT R-AUX-L jacks;
  • use JVC remote's INPUT button to select AUX;
  • determine if there is audio from the JVC speakers;
  • if yes, turn OFF, remove Dish receiver and replace with Amazon Fire TV;
  • turn On and determine if there is audio from the JVC speakers;

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

should the hdmi cable that goes into the amazon fire tv go to the dvd surround or the tv

From the Amazon Fire TV's HDMI port to the Hitachi TV's HDMI INPUT port.

did that I get picture and no sound now

"...did that I get picture and no sound now..."; please complete the statement....thanks

No sound on the JVC speakers or from the TV?

correct
tv sound is not working hence the use of the surround unit

Thanks again for this information; tv sound is not working hence the use of the surround unit.

BUT there was sound from the JVC speakers when it was the Dish receiver that was connected to the Hitachi TV's HDMI INPUT port?

Then it would appear to be an issue with the Amazon Fire TV itself rather than the connections.

Have you considered / tried a RESET of the Amazon Fire TV ?

like unplugging it and plug it back in?

Sorry no.

Press and hold the Select and ► Play/Pause buttons of the remote control at the same time for about 10 seconds.

ok, be right back
no luck
it reset & still no sound
I had also tried putting a/v cable from tv to surround unit at one time

This would confirm the Amazon Fire TV issue.

Are you able to go to the Fire TV's settings? Settings > Display and Sounds > Audio > Dolby Digital Output > Select Dolby Digital Plus OFF or Automatic or a setting/selection that may work ?

i'll try

Yes please.

I did that & selected dolby digital output still get no sound. should I go through each of the other selections

Yes please; in most instances it would be with the Dolby Digital Plus OFF.

You may even need to turn off the TV after the settings and unplug the Amazopn Fire TV for a few seconds, beforeplugging back in and turn back on the TV.

ok
powered both off & on tried the other options still not getting sound. uhg!

Please confirm; setting for Dolby Digital Plus is set to OFF ?

I put it back on that setting

Then it would confirm an internal issue with the Amazon Fire TV and/or a compatibility with the Hitachi.

Is it possible to try / test the Fire TV with another HDMI capable TV?

oh maybe tomarrow I could barrow a friends tv to find that out

An update when able please.

This would then serve as a test by process of elimination; Fire TV itself or a compatibility with the Hitachi.

Since there is video, there is still a hopeful / possible workaround with the Fire TV but would need inexpensive add-on device for the audio setup.

ok thank you

Tomorrow or when possible.

...and Happy New Year!

most likely the compatibility with the hitachi

Yes likely.

But as posted, a hopeful workaround.

you have a Happy New Year! also . thank you for your help.

Cheers.

= ) good night!

This may be of interest as a workaround...

There are devices that "extracts" the audio from an HDMI signal. Please click HERE. The idea is to plug in the HDMI source to this device (extractor) and the output these devices to the TV still by HDMI BUT also provide another output that is analog red & white RCA jacks.

There are even versions that allow multiple / selectable HDMI sources. Click HERE.

This latter version may then accomodate all the Amazon Fire TV, the Dish receiver and even the DVD player HDMI outputs without unplugging anything to change source, still/retain HDMI video quality and more importantly provide audio to the JVC's INPUT R-AUX-L jacks from all sources including the Amazon Fire TV (of course if there is nothing wrong with the Fre TV).

Louie, Technician