Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have problems with my television turning off and on again

Customer Question

I have problems with my television turning off and on again on channel 9. I've read that I need to update the firmware. Can I do this via USB. Where can I download the firmware for my television
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG model 60PY3DF-AA. About 2008
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No just channel 9. I've read it's a common problem since they changed the channel frequency but I can't plug a data cable into my television because it's older
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's been happening for a while now so I don't watch channel 9 on that television
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dan. I've never heard of a TV channel causing a TV to turn off and on again. Can you send me a link to the article you read about it? I'd be happy to do some digging.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2480960
It's very common here since the 9 network changed its frequency. I've read on many forums, there must be a fault in the television software. My television model is one of the ones affected. They say to take it to a technician for a firmware update. Can I do this myself?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am just now seeing that you are in Australia. I don't have access to LG service information for Aus models, only US versions. I also cannot see any firmware info. I will opt out and allow someone else to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately this will not be possible as your tvs internal tuner is not compatible with the new stations, which use a special type of mpeg4 compression, which is a relatively new broadcast format. While it could pick up the station, it is not compatible with the mpeg4 compression used on these new channels. It cannot be upgraded, updated, or changed. This is a 2008 model, so lg ended all support for it many years ago and would not be releasing any future firmware updates for it.

Other than replacing the tv, your next best option would be to hook up an external tuner instead. You can pick one up for $50 or less at dick smith, harvey norman, etc. Example: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/teac/teac-hdb850-hd-set-top-box/87484/

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
When the problem was identified LG said that customers would require a software upgrade for their TV sets, after the company identified the cause of a mystery software glitch. LG said they will need to send technicians to every effected home to perform a simple software upgrade. They said "the problem is with the processing of the data within our decoder" certain LG digital TV processors had difficulty dealing with the way that the data signal is packaged.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

That may be the case for a few specific models, but the issue does not apply the same to your model, which truly can't handle the mpeg4 formatting even with an update.

Even if an update were available, it would be (as you mentioned) something that has to be done manually. I have no expectation that they'd make any updates available for this model based on the age, or that they would apply it for free. If you're going to have to pay to have a tech out to do this, it would still be less costly to buy an external tuner.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
A guy in Thailand said he can sell me the replacement part for $16 to change out that will resolve the issue. Do you think this would work?
My model is one of the ones mentioned, serial numbers beginning with 608, 609, 610, 612, 701, 702, 703.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Personally no, I do not believe so.

I can't imagine what he would be selling except to replace the internal tuner card, which is an integrated part of the main board. A main board would be a $150 part typically.

Without knowing what it is exactly that he's talking about, it does not sound legitimate to me.

He could be selling you a replacement eeprom chip that could help with the turning on/off, but that is a part that requires very fine soldering work to replace. It also still wont' let you tune in any of the new channels.

I still feel the external box would be the best resolution of your issues, but it is up to you of course how you decide to proceed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Nathan, maybe it was an eeprom chip. I have all the new channels and they tune in fine, it's just the channel 9 glitch turning on and off that I want to resolve.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

If you are comfortable doing the solder work, you certainly could give it a try.