Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung smart tv with Xfinity cable. I'm trying to

Customer Question

I have a Samsung smart tv with Xfinity cable. I'm trying to get the PIP to work on the tv but the PIP screen is dark and I can't get a channel to show. How do I fix that?
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: We bought our tv in May 2016. I have not tried unplugging. We have never tried to use the PIP function before.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the tv menu works so I can go in and set the PIP function to on. the source says hdmi which is what our cable box is. but the channel selection for cable on the tv does not have the cable channels. is that why i can't get a working screen
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just went in and turned the function on causses I want to watch 2 football games at once. nothing unusual happened before
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Samsung smart tv..." Additionally, is the TV also directly connected to a cable feed aside from the HDMI connected cable box?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Model #UN75J6300AFXZA. tv is only connected to cable box
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

This would appear to be the issue then; the TV has to have a feed in its antenna connector to be able to display tuner (Antenna or unscrambled cable) aside from the currently connected cable box.

The alternative is to have a second cable box or another means of receiving the other program such as through the Internet.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok. i'll talk to my geek squad about that. thank you
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Great!

Glad that the above information served your purpose.

...and Happy New Year!