TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Trying to hook up my smart sony tv to an onkyo receiver, one

Customer Question
hello there JA: Hello. What seems...
hello there
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: trying to hook up my smart sony tv to an onkyo receiver
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: one second i will go find out
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: iit is X85D 2016
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i have never hooked it up the onkyo is HT-R503 sorry HT-R593
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all i think
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: TV
trying to hook up my smart tv to an onkyo receiver
TV is Sony X85D 2016
receiver is onkyo HT-R593
12/30/2016
TV Technician: technicalcat, Technician replied 10 months ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician

Hello, and thank you for using this service.
I will help you now.

have you connected HDMI or other cables, but not able to get sound?

i connected the HDMI cable to TV port HDMI 4 (ARC)
and connected the the other end to the receiver HDMI but not sure i have ARC port
but no sound coming out of my home theater

I sent you an offer for phone support, so I can walk you through setting this up properly over the phone. Would you like phone support? Would make things a lot easier.

if not, please tell me your video source. For example, cable box, or a dvd player.

I live overseas for now and it will be easier to type if you don't mind.
My video source is the TV itself. as i have Netflix installed on the TV and i play movies straight on my TV

Are you using a high quality and high speed HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver? This will be labelled as high speed on the cable itself in most cases.

it is, a $90 HDMI cable

If you have already gone through these steps on your TV, let me know. If not, please try, and let me know results:

1. Press the Home or Menu button on the TV remote.
  2. Select Settings or Setup
  3. Select HDMI.
  4. Select Control for HDMI.
  5. Select ON.
have not tried that. let me try and get back to you

OK.

ok i tried that but still cannot get sound out of my receiver.
no i have 6 HDMI ports on my receiver, DVD, PC, Games, but no HDMI for TV. which port should i use to get the sound from my tv to the receiver?

On your receiver:

Set the HDMI CEC (RIHD) mentioned above to "On" on the unit, and make the following setting. 1. Press RCV on the remote controller and then press HOME. 2. Select "Setup" with the cursor buttons and press ENTER. 3. Select "11. HDMI Setup" with the cursor buttons and press ENTER. 4. Select "Audio Return Ch" with the cursor buttons and select "Auto".

technicalcat
technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician