Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Half screen shows picture the other half black, LF42H30,

Customer Question

half screen shows picture the other half black
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: LF42H30
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: lg42h30 06/2009
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: happens at turn on
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the delay! A new design was put into place by the website that is blocking prompt replies to some customers. Regardless, I will do my best to provide you with excellent service. I have been helping people on this site since 2009. My main goal is to add you to the growing list of satisfied customers.

I see you were chatting with the site assistant. I am reviewing those details now and would like to hear from you asap so that I know you are ready to proceed.

NOTE: If you see a pop up for phone call service, it was not sent by me and I am not available by phone.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Is the problem left/right half or top/bottom half?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
left half black right half picture
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

If you bring up the tv menu using the original tv remote, can you see the menu in the left half?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
don't have thr remote
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

look for a menu button on the tv itself...

or

how do you control the tv? another remote? when you turn the volume up/down on the tv, does the volume indicator show up on the left half ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
get a half screen left half shows grey with blue right goes darker color
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Your tv needs diagnosis, parts, and service. In this case starting with replacing the TCON board.

As a technician, I could help you with that but if you do not have the needed skills and tools then it is not worth repairing because using a repair shop costs about the same as a new 42" tv.

But it was very smart of you to come here first- typically repair shops charge $99 up front just for diagnosis (to hand you an estimate).

If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option and you may also submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks