Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Television keeps turning off and then back on whenever

Customer Question

My Television keeps turning off and then back on whenever I'm streaming or gaming
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its a 50 inch sharp roku tv. I'm not sure about the year. I got it on black friday so I'm not sure about how old it was when we got it.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The tv menu works fine. What ends up happening is that I'll be on another application, whether it be one of the tv applications or my playstation 4, and the tv will shut down in the middle of the experience. Moments later, it reboots back to the main menu screen for the tv I'm not sure if this particular tv is messed up or what
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This was an issue about a week and a half after I got it set up?
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it. I would just like to actually enjoy it without worrying about it blinking out on me :/
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Could you give me the model number of the tv, please?

Are you saying you got it black friday of this year (so you've only had it for 2 weeks)?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah pretty much. And the model number of the TV? Let me see if I can go get that from the box.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll be right back
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Yes it would be on the box or on the back of the tv.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The model is LC-50LB481U
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there anything else you need?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

No that is all, thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point your best recourse is to return it to the store for a refund/exchange.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok Ill do that!
Thanks so much!
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome and best of luck to you!

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.