Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I was watching tv last night and suddenly my screen went

Customer Question

I was watching tv last night and suddenly my screen went black and nonsound. Today I unplugged it from the power strip for about 15 min and replugged it back in.( The tiny red power light in the lower left of the screens frame.) Nothing else happened I tried the remote and the red light went out. Nothing else happened. All things plugged into the power strip are working fine. I've even tried manually turning it on by pushing the power button on the tv itself...same results.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Can you get me the MODEL NUMBER of of the back of the RCA?

Also, how old is the set roughly?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Are you having problems replying?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply.

The symptoms you're having generally indicate a hardware failure in the set- either with the Mainboard, or the Power Supply Board (which requires replacement of the offending component in the set).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

If the issue goes beyond that - then this does indicate a hardware fault in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (depending on which board has failed) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is 1yr old
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay, just UNDER one year and it's under warranty. Just OVER and it's not. Please read the rest of my replies above (scroll up the page to see all replies). Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.