TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I just purchased a JVC 39 inch tv. Upon inputting an Apple

Customer Question
Hi mike, I just purchased...
Hi mike, I just purchased a JVC 39 inch tv. Upon inputting an Apple TV box through hdmi the tv comes up with an "unsupported" message. My guess is that the tv isn't taking the output of the device so I'll need to change the picture settings? I just don't know what format to change it to. I've done trial and error with no success
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was just purchased two days ago brand new. The model is LT-39N370A (that's what it says on the manual at least)
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: it does. Everything else seems to be working besides plugging into the HDMI ports with the devices I have available
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has always had the same message. Upon plugging in a device the tv thinks about it then says "unsupported"
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats pretty much about it. I think the output of the device is just the wrong settings for the tv as my guess, but I'm obviously not a technician ūüėä
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/29/2016
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 1 year ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Welcome

So it does the same with other products like a bluray?or is it just the apple it does this with?

If you see any messages particular ones for a phone call they are not from me but the site, I do not use the phone call facility myself, only this texting method which I consider the best way forwards, if however you want to use the phone call option this will go to a board for another tech to take up, if a tech considers this viable by phone he will ring you, otherwise if you do not want it please ignore it thanks.

Anthony

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only other device I have available is my laptop, and that had the same issue. I took the Apple TV to another tv and changed the picture output a few times, but had no success. I didn't know what to change it to though so it was just trial and error

Have you fitted a recent HDMI lead?it must be relatively new the lead because this lead has been upgraded many times, let me know

Also we get hdmi leads going bad all the time so you must swap it anyhow

Leave the output on 1080 this is native resolution to the TV

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The HDMI cord I've been using was bought probably this time last year. I used the same HDMI cord on the othertv to check if it's the tv, device or cord that's the issue. It worked fine on the other (but much larger) tv that I trialled with

OK is the TV connected to the internet?are you sure the sets firmware is upto date?

I can't find any info on this set you are sure of the model number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it's not. I don't have an internet connection in the room. In the tv menu, when selecting "software upgrade" it says there isn't any, so I assume it is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure!! That's the only information I have on it

Its saying that because it can't find any these sets are made to be connected to the internet so the sets gets all its upgrades rather like a computer does its likely its missing an upgrade here, please check the model number again so I can maybe find what version of firmware you should have, usually when they come out of the box like this they upgrade themselves via the internet on power up, let meknow the model number again

No it should come up its not coming up

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model number is ***** It's a JVC LED 39 inch tv. It doesn't have any options for internet. It is however connected to digital tv, which is working fine

If you cant connect to the internet for some reason then you may need to take it back they will upgrade it back at the shop obviously if that does not work they may swap it, there is no reaso why it should noy couple to a Apple product especially as you have checked it out on another set

So its not a smart TV?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It appears not. Just a basic tv

Is there a facility in the settings menu to factory\shipping default?try that if so, as I say its not coming up at all this model otherwise I could check it out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just reset the tv settings from the menu, that's the only reset option it has
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still has the "unsupported" message

OK and still no go, there is nothing wrong with the apple the TV is not handshaking with the apple you will need to get the set back or at least at first ring the retailer and see if they will swap the set it may be though that the apple wont work with this set I have had similar things happen

Is it a first generation apple?

Few years old say?or newish

As the laptop did the same thing there is either a firmware problem or a hardware issue with the mainboard only one way to go ,take set back I am afraid

Sorry there is not an easier\better option

Please consider rating the answer positively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page, rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site thank you, ***** ***** question is open for 30 days

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's about a year old or so I would say. Either second or third generation. I just connected it to another tv (this one is toshiba and similar sized) and it comes up with the same error message. This is the original tv I had and just swapped for a newer tv, the one we've been referring to. Any smaller sized tv the device won't work for however it works with the larger 60 inch tv. This is why I presumed it has to do with the output.

That does not make sense I cant help you any further with this

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician